Thursday, March 18, 2010

End of Trip

Hello all, this will probably be my last blog. For all of those who have followed this, thanks for paying attention during the last six months. When I get home I will add pictures to this blog to make up for the lack of them over the last month.

My work is over. The last activity we did was a leadership summit involving 300 youth (unfortunately not the expected 500) with 2 guest speakers talking about the issues of Kenya's new draft constitution, post-election violence, and hunger/malnutrition. It was a success, and many people came out saying they had learned much. I went immediately home afterwards and crashed for 5 hours, exhausted and relieved that I had no more work to be done.

I'm home on the 21st. It's weird how in such a short time I'll be hugging my family and Amy in the airport. All in all, I'm excited to be coming home. I've been away for too long; I burned out about 2 weeks ago just before my last blog. Since then, all of the energy I've been putting towards the project and just getting through my day has been pure adrenaline, which has now almost run out as well. Still, I'm sorry to be leaving my friends and colleagues who have become like family to me over the last two months.

Taking a year off school and coming to Africa was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. I've learned more about myself, how the world works, why there is poverty and the effects that it has on the society, the economy, and politics of every nation worldwide. I also learned to appreciate the things that I have in my life, and just how privileged my life has been compared to the lives of people living in developing countries. I know that if everyone reading this blog stopped what they were doing right now, took a step back and looked at their own lives and all of the opportunities they have, it would amaze them beyond belief.

When I came back from Zanzibar 4 months ago I thought I would go home and tell people about the things I saw, I learned, and how everyone has a part to play in making the world a better place. I now realize that most people don't really want to know, and would much rather live ignorantly and continue to ignore the neglected needs of others. Despite this, when I return I have decided to fund-raise towards a water project in Mwakirunge.

For all those reading this who are still in school, don't be afraid to do what I did and explore the world, to experience things you never thought you would. When you return to your home, you will discover within yourself a different person than before, even though others may not notice the change.

I don't really know what else to say. If, at the end of all this reading, people were expecting a kind of summary to my trip here, I am at a loss to provide one. Too much has happened, and not all of the experiences can be shared, especially not on something as trivial as a blog that takes a few minutes to read. Those who are close to me will probably hear about everything as it slowly comes out over the years, but for now, I'll stick to small 5 minute explanations to the usual "How was Africa?" question.

I will say this though. For all the negativity surrounding the continent, Africa is a beautiful, vibrant continent full of energy and love for its fellow man. I feel privileged to have come here, if only for a short while, and feel welcomed into the African community. I have been accepted into 2 families while I have been here, as well as unofficially been invited into a tribe. I will always feel compassion and love towards the people of this continent, and know I will return one day to walk in the land of Africa once more.

Evan

1 comment: