Monday, March 8, 2010

2 weeks left!

Hello to all in Canada!

Today I have turned 19 years old, so now the only thing I get to look forward to as far as age goes is getting a senior citizen's discount. Great, 41 years to go. The members of YCI and Kwacha Afrika threw me and Mike Kalu (whose birthday is tomorrow) a surprise birthday party on Saturday where we ate cake and watched ManUnited win its way to the top of the Premier League before going out clubbing. Couldn't have asked for much more on a birthday than that.

Last week was our most successful week to date, we conducted a 3 day workshop centering on leadership, good governance, and hunger alleviation/malnutrition. It was great to hold discussions between the 25 youth on the post-election violence of 2007 and how we can avoid it in the 2012 elections. For myself and Angela, we facilitated the hunger alleviation/malnurtrition section, so to teach people on how to find long-term solutions to this major problem was particularly satisfying for me since I find it's one of the biggest issues worldwide.

Today is International Women's Day so for this YCI and Kwacha is holding an event at the Cinemax, showing 400 men and women a short film about sexual harrasment, as well as bringing in speakers on the topic and gender equity. Rebecca has taken on the responsibility of organizing the event, and she's done an absolutely fantastic job of coordinating everything and taking initiative by herself.

I was in a bit of a depressed state for a few days (though I'm feeling much better now) after returning to Mwakirunge to deliver the supplies, and on my way back I got off the truck and walked around the dump site for 10 minutes only taking pictures. The reason I stayed for such a short time was due to safety reasons, as well as the locals asking me for money as a price for taking the pictures. As it was, I was practically jogging between locations around the site since I didn't want to be in one spot for too long. I've already spoken with a few people on what assistance Mwakirunge needs first, so when I get home I can fundraise to provide help for the area.

Other than that, not much is happening. I only have 2 more weeks until I'm home, looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

Evan

1 comment:

  1. As for no more birthdays to look forward - you're still in your teens, kid!!! And by the way, one really has to jump through hoops to post on here.

    ReplyDelete